Life Is a Photo Op | Amy Lockheart

Amy Lockheart | amylucy.com

Where are you from?
I am from the Minneapolis/St. Paul area in the very chilly northern state of Minnesota, USA.

Where do you currently live?
I currently reside just across the border in Wisconsin, in an area close to Minneapolis.

How long have you been shooting?
I have had an interest in photography from a very early age but spent my years in college and graduate school focusing on Environmental Health Science. My interest in photography was renewed after my children were born, and I longed to be able to create beautiful images of them. I bought my first DSLR in 2009 and have been shooting consistently since then.

Are you self-taught or schooled in photography?
I taught myself the basics from reading books and online tutorials, but I have taken a couple of workshops as well.

Do you photograph for a living or is this a hobby?
I do accept clients on a limited basis. My children are still young, and I want to spend as much time as possible with them while they are still home with me. I get great satisfaction from both photographing special times in other families’ lives and pursuing my own personal photography projects.

What is in your camera bag?
Nikon D90, Nikon 35 1.4G, Nikon 50 1.4G, Nikon 105 2.8 macro, Sigma 30 1.4, and a Lensbaby Composer Pro.

Do you shoot digital or film or both?
Just digital for me.

Why do you love Digital or Film?
I greatly admire film shooters and hope to someday experiment with film, but right now I am happy with the flexibility and convenience of digital.

How did this project come about?
These images are a collection of photos from daily life in our household. Everyday moments are so important to capture because they are the ones that are too often the first to be forgotten. Birthday parties, big events, and styled photo shoots are fun and challenging, but I’ve found there is nothing quite as rewarding as taking a photo of my child that truly represents who he/she is at that moment in his/her life. Those are the details I want to remember.

What is it about this project that speaks personally about you?
My son was just 1 ½ years old when my twins were born, and from that point we were in survival mode for a while; it just took so much to care for three babies in diapers while my husband worked long hours. I feel like a couple of years just passed by in a blink of an eye.

When the kids got a bit older, I had more time to devote to photography and spent every free moment learning and practicing. I have cherished these days when my kids were home with me. Now my youngest two are getting ready to start kindergarten. I want to remember and capture these days when we can be together so much.

What would you want this project to say to the viewer?
This is just real life. We have messy hair, mismatched clothes, and piles of toys laying around. But most of all, I hope the viewer can see that these images were created out of love and adoration for the subjects.

Are you currently shooting or planning to shoot another personal project?
There is another project which I chose to do all for myself and my family. I capture images of my children that are especially meaningful to me and write love letters to my children to accompany those images.

If so, what is the goal you are trying to achieve from that project?
The goal of that project is to show my children my heart, to express my love for them through imagery and the written word. I find myself telling my children I love them constantly throughout the day, and this project expresses those feelings and results in something tangible that I can print and place in a book for them. Writing the letters keeps me focused on that for which I am most grateful, and it allows me to reflect on the past, present, and future with my children and align my life goals accordingly. When my children are grown, I will be able to present the letters to them and, hopefully, they will cherish them as much as I do.

How do you keep challenging yourself photographically?
I just keep shooting, practicing, and trying new things. I look for inspiration all around me and try to shoot as much as possible. I am most creative when my heart is full of gratitude and love, so I focus on those emotions to drive my work.

{ 1 trackback }

Fab Friday Finds » Stacy Mae Photography
April 21, 2012 at 3:11 am

{ 18 comments… read them below or add one }

Gretchen Willis April 19, 2012 at 5:30 am

Hi Amy! You already know, I am a huge fan of your work. I love these images and actually they are the very kind I aspire to be able to capture of my own family. You’re a huge inspiration to me. Congrats on being featured here!!! <3

Ashley Spaulding April 19, 2012 at 5:33 am

Amy is one of my very favorite photographers and such an amazing person all around. Her photography itself speaks volumes, and the letters she writes to her kids to accompany her gorgeous images just blow me away. She is such an inspiring woman, and I’m so happy to see her featured here!

Kendra Okolita April 19, 2012 at 7:11 am

Oh Amy!!! What a treat to see your amazing work here today. You are such a kind soul, great friend, and inspiring photographer. I adore your work <3

Karie Peters April 19, 2012 at 7:12 am

Hi Amy: Just wanted to comment on how precious your images are. Reading your responses to the questions reminded me of me as I too had twins when my oldest was 18 months, so I can relate!! You have done an amazing job of capturing true life and the love you have for your children! Thank you for sharing. You are an inspriation and I can’t wait for my kiddos to get home from school today so I can take more pictures of them!! :)

Mara Vaughan April 19, 2012 at 7:53 am

Amy, Your pictures are just gorgeous. And they really capture your love for your own children and those daily ordinary moments seen through a mother’s eyes. Very inspiring!

Susan O'Neal April 19, 2012 at 9:53 am

HI AMY, I *so* enjoyed all of your beautiful & fun images — your talent is ‘over the moon’ !! — your children are darling — & YOU are an amazing Mom — 3 little ones so close together !! (I thought they were triplets when I first saw their photos !!) — I LOVE YOUR WORK !!! (from Ashley Spaulding’s Mom, Susan)

April Nienhuis April 19, 2012 at 11:24 am

You know what a huge fan I am of your work Amy! I love your vision. I also think you are a wonderful person and I am so thankful I get to call you a friend <3

Sarah Wilkerson April 19, 2012 at 12:44 pm

Amy, you are so brilliant with the everyday. I am, as you know, a longtime admirer of your gorgeous and thoughtful work, and it’s such a treat to enjoy this series of images here. Your vivaciousness and your sweetness shines right through your photography. Well deserved feature!!! xoxo

michelle maclachlan wallace April 19, 2012 at 4:04 pm

Always love to see your images, and wow you have only stood behind a digital camera for 3.5 yrs. I am not surprised to hear you have a lifetime interest in photography buried under the everyday, resurfacing with the ultimate inspiration,your children. Looking forward to seeing your personal and creative growth reflected in the photos you are yet to take.

melissa deakin April 23, 2012 at 9:26 am

oh, i just adore amy lucy so much!
her images are so incredible and always inspiring!
thanks for showcasing this stellar talent!

sharon April 23, 2012 at 4:16 pm

lovely images so full of life!

Rachel Potter April 24, 2012 at 12:16 pm

Amy, you never cease to amaze me with your attention to details and your ability to make the everyday look like pure art. I just kept scrolling and didn’t want it to end! Superb!

Breanna May 3, 2012 at 12:58 pm

Absolutely love these!

Elle May 5, 2012 at 8:54 pm

Such a big Amy Lucy fan! So lovely to see your work featured here, I see ‘you’ in every single one of these – beautiful!

katepickle May 10, 2012 at 1:27 pm

I had a spare moment and thought I’d catch up on some blogs in my reader… so glad I clicked on yours! These photos are gorgeous… so real and so beautiful and so inspiring. I need to take more photos!

sharon May 21, 2012 at 1:33 am

these are lovely!

Ardelle June 2, 2012 at 1:14 am

Amy, your work is so inspiring! Your kiddos are so cute! I have been doing my own daily photo project, which some days isn’t always easy, but I am loving the results. I will continue to enjoy watching your amazing personal work!

Caroline Jensen October 12, 2012 at 1:14 am

Oh Amy! These images are soooo beautiful and you can FEEL the love in them. You are so incredibly talented. :)